ELDORA ACTION SWINGS OVER TO KART TRACK THIS WEEKEND
ROSSBURG, OH (August 16) – Eldora Speedway’s racing action this weekend switches from the famed .500-mile clay oval to the 1/7th mile oval, Little Eldora Speedway, on Sunday afternoon, with a full program of go-kart racing and free general admission. Built three years ago, the compact version of Eldora sits within the shadows of the ‘big track,’ on the northeast corner of the property.
Competitive go kart racing has been the starting point for many drivers that now turn laps on Eldora’s famed oval; including three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion and Eldora Speedway owner, Tony Stewart. Among the most recent graduates from the go kart world into competition on the legendary ‘Big E’, include Max Stambaugh (NRA Sprint Invaders) and Nick Bowers (Eldora Stock Cars).
Little Eldora was constructed with that goal in mind; to offer drivers an introduction into racing, and creating a stepping stone towards racing on the .500-mile oval.
With virtually no suspension points, victory in the open wheeled go karts is 80% driver skill and driver reaction time – both of which are vital to success in higher level forms of racing. Weight distribution and tire selection account for the other 20%.
Sunday’s competition will feature over a dozen classes of go kart racing, with the age levels ranging from 5 in the Kid Karts to 72 in the Masters class. The afternoon of racing kicks off at 12:30 with the first of two rounds of qualifying heat races for each kart, followed by the main events.
A glimpse of the Little Eldora Speedway action can be found at www.eldoraspeedway.com, under the Little Eldora link, with archived photos, videos and race results. The next action on the bigger Eldora oval will be Sunday, September 2 with the WIX Filters Baltes Classic, featuring the Sunoco American Late Model Series, UMP DIRTcar Modifieds and Stock Cars. Tickets for this event may also be purchased on the Eldora website.